Podgorica - Montenegrin human rights activist Aleksandar Sasa Zekovic was today denied information by the Supreme Court on whether or not it gave police a green light to put him under surveillance.
In a letter seen by Balkan Insight, court president Ratko Vukotic told Zekovic that national security concerns meant he could not know if the authorities were watching him or not.
Suspecting police were following him and tapping his phone, Zekovic first wrote to the Supreme Court on April 20 to ask if it had approved such measures. According to Montenegrin law, the Supreme Court is responsible for authorising police surveillance and phone-tapping.
Zekovic is well known for his investigations of alleged human rights violations, and earlier this February published accusations of police brutality during an arrest operation carried out last year. The September 2006 swoop, known as "Eagle flight", saw a number of Albanian men taken into custody on suspicion of terorism.
He said that, since then, he had suspected police were following him, as well as claiming to have received anonymous threats that details of his private life would be exposed if he did not stop talking about the case.
Zekovic told Balkan Insight that police sources pointed the finger at officers close to police chief Veselin Veljovic, although adding they were acting without the latter’s support.
"I have been told these officers hate me and that I'm making problems for them in regard to the "Eagle flight" operation," he said. "Now, after this response from the Supreme Court, my suspicions that the police are involved are even stronger."
Police chief Veljovic has dismissed the allegations.
Zekovic has responded to his court rejection by writing to state prosecutor Vesna Medenica, asking her to confirm whether or not she ordered him to be put under surveillance.